Efforts to understand, improve, or do less harm to the world around me.


___________________

Friday, October 24, 2008

Learning Java

Something I plan on doing shortly is learning a programming language. I'd like to pass along some of the advice I got about the topic from my friend Wes:
I recommend a Dummies book, but I find those the best for getting a nice overview of a subject. When you are comfortable, then switch to this O'Reilly book, which will fill in details.

Regarding tools, you want to keep it simple at the beginning. They are really basic or really complicated. Thus, I recommend sticking with the command line and your favorite text editor. The one you just posted on would be nice since it has syntax highlighting.

Once you are comfortable with the language and the basic tools, you can move on to a full-blown IDE like Eclipse.

You will also need to learn Object-Oriented Programming as well.

No comments: