Efforts to understand, improve, or do less harm to the world around me.


___________________

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Powerful women

Why do powerful, assertive women have difficulty with relationships in a world where equality is supposed to be increasing? Someone asked and I answered.
In a generic sense, the American picture of femininity is women is still that you're not supposed to ask for sex, you're not supposed to express desire, and only posit a casual interest. I'm conscious of this and I still fall into it; a girl who takes the initiative can be sexy but when she takes control of the situation, its unfamiliar territory and inevitably I feel out of control.

Still, I do like and want powerful women because, for myself, I need someone who can handle things. Its not that I don't want to take care of her in some capacity, its that I've been in so many situations where I played some kind of savior role. To swoop in and save her felt great, but those situations where it was impossible to do anything? It was just that much more frustrating. Additionally, you're not a mature adult i you're not handling your own thing.

Still, not to get all men-are-from-mars on you, guys do need to feel useful. Even guys who choose powerful women still want to feel helpful or a part of their lives. Totally independent women definitely don't need us and -- the idea goes -- don't want us either.
What bothers me is I feel like this question and my answer could have been written at any time in the past 30 years. Either my response is too generic or attitudes really haven't changed.

Related : How to be a great girlfriend

2 comments:

Kristy said...

The nature of the "difficulty" being described is too ambiguous. Are we talking difficulty with regards equal pay, equal opportunity, etc.? Or is it something more related to sex/relationships, as suggested by the answer you gave?

Gender roles are in constant flux and are incredibly complex in my opinion. Read the poem "Adam and Eve" by Tony Hoagland. Curious to hear your reaction to it.

Folding Home said...

Here's the poem that Abbystract was talking about.

And yes, I was talking about relationships -- not other elements. I need to edit the original article to reflect that.