Any program that takes its place should strive for the following:
- Open source, cross-platform, and serverless (no one computer is necessary to maintain the group)
- Secure, unlimited file sharing, and throttling so you don't choke your connection
- Other useful tools for a small group like Individual and group chat options, bulletin boards, etc.
Slowly looking into other alternatives and tools:
- GNU Net - has some tools to increase the anonymity of users but initial tests last year weren't very promising
- Weezo - uses centralized, private server
- Opera Unite - super easy, but requires computer to be always online. Status of security unknown.
- Hamachi (closed) and Wippien (open) - firewall-friendly simple virtual private network program (VPN), but requires that you run other server programs in addition. Hamachi was tested 2 years ago and worked great but using basic Windows file sharing turned out to be more annoying than we expected.
- Oneswarm - uses BitTorrent technology and provides some anonymity
- Tunnelier - Can many internet services secure on your computer. Maybe the easiest tool for SSH tunneling available for Windows.