Efforts to understand, improve, or do less harm to the world around me.


___________________

Monday, April 06, 2009

Anti-advertisement guy

RIP some guy who maintained an internet filter.

While the article points out that he may have been hurting companies that survive on advertising money, the article doesn't point out the bandwidth and electricity he saved. From a website that survives on ads that are blocked by his filter, it is still worth the trouble to me. Its also a reason that Internet Explorer, which will likely never have an adblock-style filter, can never take over for a core group of users.

I'm also someone who works on a mostly unknown free software project so I'm sympathetic for other reasons.

I also liked this comment: "Someone else can maintain AdBlock, no one else can be his daughter's father." Individuals working to improve the web. Cheers rick752.

No comments: