Efforts to understand, improve, or do less harm to the world around me.


___________________

Friday, July 01, 2016

A different kind of horror movie

A few years ago I saw maybe the most disturbing horror movie that actually changed the way I watched movies.  "Funny Games" basically tried to turn the whole genre on it's head, focusing almost entirely on the plight of the victims rather than the violence of the evildoers.  I found it exceedingly difficult to watch and ultimately had to skip past large chunks of the movie.

I can't figure out how to directly link to it but a review that put it in perspective for me:
"... It is interesting to note that this film is not that bloody, with almost all of the violence occurring off-screen, the camera focusing on the witnesses reactions instead. Funnily enough, this annoyed a few reviewers on this site, which kind of proves the director's point. We are hungry for violence in our films, we want to see it all. (source)"

No comments: