Efforts to understand, improve, or do less harm to the world around me.


___________________

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Computer altruism

I'm a computer guy so I was thinking about farming out some of my skills to the community at large. This doesn't mean much right now because its very much in the planning stages and I'm not by any means near it. Still, the idea has some merit.
  1. Get together a short presentation on some kind of computer stuff - the old staples are always winners: back up your computer, get virus scan software, safe computer practices, etc.
  2. Connect with local library or community center or where-ever than handles this stuff. Confirm a time and a space to talk about shit.
  3. Create and post a flyer in places where people might read them as well as on craigslist.
  4. Show up and see what kind of involvement you get and answer some basic computer questions. Involvement with community occurs.
Presumably people would also hook me up with their old computer hardware that they don't want anymore so this philanthropy could have some good fallout for me as well.

No comments: