Efforts to understand, improve, or do less harm to the world around me.


___________________

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Faster showers

Figured out a trick to use WAY less electricity and water. After a friend went into the Peace Corps, I started thinking about how much water developed nations use. This made me much more conscious of my water usage.

  1. Get cloth, wet slightly and rub it in a bar of soap or whatever.
  2. Wet hair slightly.
  3. Get nekkid.
  4. Wipe down with moist cloth and apply whatever hair cleaning stuff you want.
  5. Run shower and just rinse off. Do the conditioner thing if need-be.
  6. Hang up the cloth so it doesn't mildew. The soap that’s still in it can be reused later.

I have estimated that my showers use around two gallons of water and approximately 30-100 watts of electricity. It also ends up saving a lot of time. If I can figure out how to take cold showers, I could knock this down considerably but I'm too much of a wuss.

This takes all of like three minutes and is - for all intents and purposes - the same thing you get with a normal shower, except conceivably for a moisturizing effect from warm water.

No comments: