Efforts to understand, improve, or do less harm to the world around me.


___________________

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Passwords suck

Whether you care about the company that was set up to solve the problems with passwords, the video is very compelling about modern security.

Unfortunately, I don't really want an online service (like OpenID) to control my accounts and login information, simply because I have no idea who these people are and if they have any scruples.

One alternative is this program: Keepass. It does this locally, portably, and for almost every current operating system.

Another way is my own system: I put all my passwords in a super-simple secure notepad program. Then, if someone breaks in, they still won't know my passwords because I only list a series of password hints.

I do this by trying to think up ways of describing the password using elements only memorable to me and using characters. My hint for "favorite Austin band" (And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead) becomes "aywkubttod". Then, if all my passwords require that I make vowels behave differently (E becomes 3, O becomes 0, A becomes @) that's even better.

The result, "@ywkubtt0d" is an oustanding password.

No comments: