Efforts to understand, improve, or do less harm to the world around me.


___________________

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Five questions for Kevin Smith

Awhile back I was at an event that the amazing Kevin Smith attended and I asked him a question that was already addressed on the DVD he put out. This bothered me and I've been trying to come up with a really good question ever since. Here's my top 5:

1. A lot of people I know were affected by the movie Dogma. I was surprised that it became this cultural touchstone by which I could discuss religion with people who usually didn't. But I'm curious how your religious views over time have changed -- and maybe you could explain that by telling us how you would have done Dogma differently if you had made it right after Clerks (his first movie) like you planned, as well as what it would look like if you made Dogma right now.

2. It seems like you call people "Sir" in a playful way with (friend and co-star) Jason Mews and others. To me, its said in an affectionate way but also implying that we're supposed to be adults, but really we're not. As if we're all just pretending to be adults, when really we're all just a lot of dumb kids. Is that something you consciously thought about or is it sort of something automatic that you just developed?

3. George Lucas started out doing indie film and became a very powerful force in Hollywood. You've been very available to playing in the background and not spending too much money in any direction, knowing that will keep you in movies for years to come. But if you had a breakout hit that put you in the top spot in your industry, what would you push the industry to do differently? Put another way: what sucks about movies right now that someone aught to fix? What if it was you?

4. You interviewed Bruce Willis recently and this was the first time I felt like you might almost be a little starstruck. What caught me about this is that you're a Hollywood director who's had some very big names in his movies and yet you're so down-to-earth. Your art is filled with referees to people overcompensating, while you are so straightforward. Almost every interview, you discuss things so normally, like we're your neighbor and you're telling us a funny story about our other neighbor's dog. How is it your characters are so delusional while you're so clear-headed?

5. As a natural storyteller, who impresses you lately as a storyteller (in any medium) and have you drawn any inspiration from them?

No comments: