Efforts to understand, improve, or do less harm to the world around me.


___________________

Friday, March 27, 2009

New favorite Mac program: Skim

Been working with a lot of PDF documents lately and fortunately found a great way to show them: two up on my widescreen, with the capability to scan around the page with two fingers on my touchpad. I work with a lot of software on a daily basis so its rare when I'm really impressed

Other great features of Skim:
  • Outstanding interface -- utilizes everything Mac seems to have been working for years to accomplish in terms of smooth minimalism.
  • Edit PDF documents using highlight, text, and other tools.
  • Open source (BSD) program and actively being worked on
  • Open multiple files and, optionally, have them re-open exactly where you left off.
I was disappointed that the search function isn't a whole lot better than Mac's own viewer, but it is a step above Mac's, finding parts of text rather than just whole words.

(To do the trick mentioned at the top, select "PDF" - "PDF Display" - and select "Facing Pages". Genius.)

No comments: