Efforts to understand, improve, or do less harm to the world around me.


___________________

Thursday, April 27, 2017

Quitting Facebook

Although I'd backed down to essentially just listing my name on the service, I finally took the lat step and deleted my account.  Recognizing that the privacy situation is only going to get worse and never better, it was time.

(Note that I couldn't find another article that I wanted to add to this post on the astonishing amount of data Facebook kept on a single user.)

Anyway, it's been a few months now and I haven't regretted it at all. 

The catch here of course is that I'm still using a lot of free services that trade on user data (including blogger where this is posted, owned by Google) but the sort of see/speak/hear-no-evil approach that Facebook carries in an ongoing way just seemed like a recipe for disaster.

1 comment:

Mark said...

I have all but left Facebook, unfortunately they still have me in their clutches because I use Instagram. I have been contemplating deleting my facebook account but I don't know how that would effect my Instagram account.