Efforts to understand, improve, or do less harm to the world around me.


___________________

Monday, December 29, 2008

Downloading Gmail with Thunderbird



Gmail is arguably the best thing to happen to e-mail in the last 10 years. But I can't back up my e-mail or work on my e-mail when I don't have a net connection so I've turned to Thunderbird. There are a lot of reasons for this including being free, able to run on almost any computer, openly developed, and customizable to an amazing degree. So much so that I started seeing what I could do. One of the big changes I've made is setting the program up to look more like Gmail:
  1. Threads. View things in the style of gmail -- listed by subject rather than date or sender. Here's how to set this up permanently.
  2. Contacts. I used this guide to manually move contacts from Gmail to Thunderbird. There are automated tools that will do this but I'm not sure how secure they are.
See also: Thunderbird Plugins

No comments: