Efforts to understand, improve, or do less harm to the world around me.


___________________

Monday, December 29, 2008

Thunderbird plugins

More e-mail client customization:
  • Adblock Plus - turns off advertisements, really only necessary if you get some spam. Nice.
Once installed, be sure to go into "Tools - Add Ons", select "Adblock Plus", and choose "Preferences". Then from the "File" menu that appears, select "Filters - Add Filter" and choose a location close to you. Expand the window and click "subscribe".
  • Image Zoom - adds functionality for images
  • Lightning - the Calendar client I'm warming up to. Its not as clean as iCal or Outlook but not as annoying either. Right now its competing with Rainlendar.
  • Provider for Google Calendar - lets you subscribe (and publish) to Google Calendar stuff, also something I'm warming up to
  • Thunderbrowse - lets you browse web sites inside thunderbird so you don't have to start up a copy of Firefox. This is especially important with my portable programs thing.
  • Enigmail - you probably don't need this (very few people do) if you want to do signed / encrypted e-mail. Signing is really important if your e-mail goes out to a lot of people or folks who NEED to know the recipient is genuine. Encryption is important if you want extra privacy but your recipient has to have some kind of GPG-compatible tool.Remove Duplicate Messages (alternate) - I found I needed this a few times for when mail servers thought I didn't already have a message
  • Zindus - e-mail contact sync for Google (automated, unlike what I describe here)
Related:
See also: my first Thunderbird post.

No comments: